Congratulations to our Geography Bowl team who won the World Geography Bowl at the recent 2013 AAG Conference in Los Angeles.
Regional Councilor, Grant Saff, coordinated our winning team at the 2013 World Geography Bowl held on April 12, during the AAG Meeting in Los Angeles. The World Geography Bowl is an annual quiz competition for teams of college-level geography students representing the AAG’s nine regional divisions. Our team consisted of the top six scoring individuals from our Regional Bowl competition held at Shippensburg University in November, 2012. The Middle States Division team’s roster was:
- Shawn Dacey, team captain, undergraduate student, SUNY Oneonta,
- Jase Bernhardt, graduate student, Penn State University,
- James Baker, undergraduate student, William Paterson University (also received MVP title),
- Samuel Finn, graduate student, Shippensburg University,
- Ekaterina Bezborodico, graduate student, Rutgers University,
- Raechel Blanchetti, graduate student, Penn State University.
Our team did exceptionally well in the preliminary rounds, winning seven of their eight matches. The championship round pitted the top two teams in a match-up from a round-robin tournament. In the final, our team defeated the Middle Atlantic Division (MAD) by a score of 120-90. Jim Baker won the individual award as MVP, which is a remarkable achievement for an undergraduate. The team members each received $300 from the MDSAAG to help attend the Conference. Please join us in congratulating them on their excellent performance. We look forward to defending our crown at the next AAG meeting in Tampa. Read more at: http://www.aag.org/cs/2013_world_geography_bowl